Duration: December 2004 – April 2006
Donor: Balkan Trust for Democracy
Objectives: Future generations to learn about democracy, justice and human rights and develop a lifelong commitment of responsible civic participation in order to address issues of social injustice. The project targeted the following pedagogical Faculties: ”St. Kliment Ohridski” – Skopje, “Goce Delchev” – Shtip, ”St. Kliment Ohridski” – Bitola, Pedagogical – Methodological Faculty at the South Eastern Europe University (SEEU) – Tetovo and University “Tetovo” – Tetovo.
• The excising curricula for grade 1-4 was revised and changes were proposed for inclusion of the civic education content;
• For the first time the civic education programs received a documented teaching curricula and methodology for pre-service teachers training at all 5 pedagogical faculties in North Macedonia (state and private). Future teachers will gain knowledge and acquire necessary skills on Civic Education content and methodologies to teach new generations of student on democratic practices;
• The education stakeholders on relevant decision making positions within MOES/BDE and Pedagogical Faculties worked on the development and adoption of programming with active assistance from MCEC staff and this program;
• For the first time the project promoted coordinated working relations between MOES/BDE and pedagogical faculties that continue to serve as good example for development of cooperation between different sectors and establishment of multi sector links;
• This program raised awareness about Civic Education at other faculties that work with curricula for educating teachers for upper elementary school subjects and secondary schools.